Chores can be a nightmare for us all, parents and children alike. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a way to make it all a bit more exciting for both parties?
We know ‘chores’ and ‘fun’ don’t usually belong in the same sentence, but we’ve come up with a list of ideas to help make chores fun.
1. A Scavenger Hunt – make a list of items that need to be found and put away. The first child to complete their list will win the task. For single child households, use a timer.
2. Get them a cleaning outfit – Perhaps an apron or a silly hat that they can wear especially for when they do their chores.
3. Keep a routine – By doing it at the same time every day, it normalizes the idea of helping out around the house.
4. “10 minute tidy” – is a concept that if you have short bursts of tidying it keeps them focused on their tasks.
5. Reward/chore charts – by tracking their progress, it will show them how much they are helping out around the house. This will give them a sense of pride and also if they are getting a reward, it is a type of positive reinforcement.
6. Use positive reinforcement – it helps to encourage them to continue helping out around the house and little helpful pointers can go a long way.
7. How fast can you do it? – Timing them makes it exciting and competitive. The winner can receive a reward of your choosing or the child with the best time can win a sticker on their chart.
8. This Dad created a Pokemon inspired game to get the kids interested in their chores, check out this page for instructions on how to do it.
9. Make it a race! -The first child to complete all their tasks wins the race.