What if there was a way to get your teenagers to put down their phones and pick up something else instead? Let's take a look at the importance of hobbies for teenagers and list a few fun ones that might just get them off their screens.
The importance of hobbies for teenagers
Hobbies can provide valuable benefits for teenagers. They foster a sense of accomplishment and provide a much-needed outlet for creativity and self-expression. They also help to develop important life skills such as patience, goal-setting, and focus, while boosting self-esteem and confidence — especially important during the teenage years.
Hobbies are also simply a lot of fun! They provide a welcome break from the every day and can help to reignite a sense of wonder and curiosity in the world.
Outdoor Hobbies for Teens
There are endless possibilities for outdoor hobbies for teenagers. Here are a few to get them started:
- Hiking: This gets your teenager out enjoying the beauty of nature. All they need to get started is a good pair of shoes and comfortable clothes.
- Camping: A great social outdoor activity that can be done with friends or family. It’s a fun way to bond with loved ones while getting some fresh air and exercise.
- Cycling: This is a great, green form of transportation that gives your teenager independence.
- Bouldering: This form of rock climbing can be done without any special equipment or training and teaches your teenager to challenge themselves.
- Surfing: This ‘cool’ hobby will teach your teenager to enjoy and respect the ocean.
- SUP: Stand-up paddleboarding is a relatively new water sport that’s perfect for those who love the ocean.
- Sailing: This is the perfect activity for those who love the water and crave adventure — but it requires some training.
- Kayaking: This is another way to explore the outdoors and get some exercise. It’s relatively easy to learn and can be done solo or with a group.
- Swimming: Swimming is not only great exercise and a lot of fun, but it’s also a lifesaving skill.
- Photography: Taking pictures is a creative outlet that your teenager can use to express themselves and capture the world around them.
- Skating: Skating is a fun way to get around and exercise at the same time. It takes some balance and coordination, but it’s definitely doable.
- Fishing: This relaxing hobby that can be done alone or with friends or family. It’s a lovely way to bond with loved ones and connect with nature.
- Volunteering: Volunteer work gives your teenager an opportunity to give back to the community. They'll meet new people, learn new skills, and develop a sense of civic responsibility.
- Birdwatching: This hobby will allow your teenager to connect with nature and learn more about the different types of birds in your area.
- Gardening: This is a relaxing hobby that teaches your teenager valuable skills while getting fresh air.
- Running: This cardio-based activity provides stress relief, boosts endorphins, and can help improve your teenager’s mental health.
- Martial Arts: Improve discipline, focus, and physical fitness. It’s also a form of self-defense that could come in handy one day.
Hobbies for Teens to do at home
Alongside outdoor hobbies, there are many that can be done from the comfort of your own home:
- Musical instrument: Learning to play a musical instrument can help teenagers to relax and de-stress while providing a creative outlet.
- Painting/Drawing: Art can encourage teenagers to express themselves, and painting or drawing can be very therapeutic.
- Writing: If your teenager enjoys writing, why not get them to start a blog or write some short stories to get their creative juices flowing?
- Dancing: To keep fit and have fun at the same time, your teenager can dance at home or start their own dance crew with friends.
- Woodwork: If your teenager is handy with tools, they could try their hand at woodworking, making small pieces of furniture, wooden toys, or even a birdhouse.
- Cooking: Cooking is a life skill that can be taken into adulthood. Why not get your teenager to try some new recipes for the family?
- Baking: Baking is another great way to be creative in the kitchen. Teenagers can experiment with different flavors and decorations to create unique cakes and cookies.
- Languages: Speaking another language is a useful skill to have and can also be a lot of fun.
- Yoga: Perfect to relax and de-stress. Yoga has many physical benefits, such as improving flexibility and strengthening muscles.
- Calligraphy: This beautiful art form improves hand-eye coordination.
- Embroidery: Your teenager can learn this fun way to add a personal touch to clothes and accessories.
- Making clothes: If your teenager is interested in fashion, they could try their hand at making their own clothes.
- Knitting: The perfect hobby to relax and de-stress while creating something useful.
- Candle-making: Candle-making is a lovely, creative hobby that can be very therapeutic.
- Pottery: Teenagers can learn how to make their own pottery by taking an online course or watching some tutorials.
- Reading: Reading can help your teenager relax and escape from the world while also learning new things and improving their literacy skills.
- Sewing: This is a useful skill to have and can be used to make clothes, toys, and accessories.
- Nail art: This fun and creative hobby can give your teenager a way to express their personality. They can find plenty of online tutorials to help them get started.
Hobbies to make extra money
Saving money as a teen can be difficult, but if your teenager has a hobby that they’re passionate about, they could turn it into a money-making venture:
- Dog walking: If your teenager loves dogs, they could start a dog walking business. They could walk people’s dogs for them while they are at work or on holiday.
- Babysitting: Your teenager could babysit for family and friends or start their own babysitting business.
- Pet Sitting: Your pet-loving teenager could sit for family and friends or start their own business.
- Hairstyling/dressing: If your teenager is good at hair and makeup, they could start a hairstyling or dressing business. They could do people’s hair and makeup for special occasions or start their own online channel to show off their skills.
- Upcycling: Teenagers can buy old clothes and furniture and upcycle them into something new and stylish.
- Making clothes: If your teenager is interested in fashion, they could start a business making clothes.
- Makeup: Your teenager could do people’s makeup for special occasions or start their own YouTube channel to show off their skills.
- Jewelry: Making and selling jewelry allows teenagers to be creative and make some extra money. They could sell their jewelry online or at markets and craft fairs.
- Tutoring: Tutoring younger children in school subjects or helping people prepare for exams is one of the most rewarding ways to make money as a teenager.
- Styling: If your teenager is good at styling hair and makeup, they could start a business doing people’s hair and makeup for special occasions.
- Coaching: For the sporty teenager, coaching younger children could be an exciting option. They could coach a team or offer private coaching sessions.
If you're looking for a safe way for your teenager to receive payments and manage their earnings, GoHenry can help.
There are many benefits for teens to having a GoHenry debit card.