Are you worried about your child playing Fortnite? You're not alone. The game is incredibly popular, and many children are spending hours every day playing it. If you're concerned about the amount of time your child is spending on the game, or if you're worried about the content of the game, you need to read this guide. Here we will discuss Fortnite parental controls and how you can use them to protect your child. We will also provide some tips for parents who want to help their children play safely and responsibly. Keep reading for more information.
What is Fortnite?
Fortnite is a video game that was released in 2017. The game is available on PC, Mac, Xbox One, Playstation Four/Five (PS4/5), and iOS devices. Fortnite is a shooter game where players compete against each other to be the last person standing.
The game is free to play, but it offers in-game purchases such as skins, dances, and emotes for its characters using real money. Many parents are concerned about this aspect of the game because it can lead to children spending a lot of money on in-game purchases.
Why should I use parental controls on Fortnite?
There are a few reasons why you should use Fortnite parental controls. Here are some of the most important ones:
- The game is rated T for Teen by the ESRB, which means that it contains content that is not suitable for children younger than 13 years old
- The game includes violence and gore, which can be disturbing for younger children
- The game is played by adults as well as children, meaning that there is a possibility that your child could be exposed to offensive language from other players
- The game has in-game purchases, which can lead to children spending a lot of money
- The game is very addictive, and some children spend hours every day playing it. This can impact their schoolwork, social life, and sleep schedule
The good news is that there are parental controls available for Fortnite that can help protect your child.
Talk to your child regularly about online safety
Before you set up any parental controls, it's important to discuss online safety with your child. Talk to them about what they should and shouldn't do while playing online games. Explain to them why you're setting up parental controls and explain what the consequences will be if they break the rules.
It's also important to keep the lines of communication open. Encourage your child to come to you if they ever feel uncomfortable or see something that makes them upset. Regularly talking to your child about online safety will help them stay safe while playing Fortnite and other video games. Make sure to mention several aspects of online safety, such as:
- Never share personal information with strangers online (name, address, phone number or school)
- Do not agree to meet up with anyone you meet online in person
- Be aware of scams and hoaxes that can occur online
- Never download or install software from untrustworthy sources
- Make sure your child is using a strong, unique password for all of their online accounts.
- Always report any inappropriate behaviour or content to a parent or guardian
How do I set parental controls on Fortnite?
There are a few different ways to set up Fortnite parental controls. Here’s a guide on how to do it by device:
- On PC and Mac - go to the Settings menu and select the Family tab. You will need to create a family account if you don't have one already. Once you are in the Family tab, click on Add Child and enter your child's information and restrictions
- On Xbox One - go to Settings and select Account. Underneath Xbox Profile, select Family settings. Select Add new member and enter your child's information and restrictions
- On PS4 - go to Settings and select Parental Controls/Family Management. Select Add Family Member and enter your child's information and restrictions
- On iOS devices, go to Settings and select Screen Time. Tap on Turn on Screen Time and follow the instructions. Once you have set up Screen Time, you will be able to set restrictions for Fortnite
There are also a few different parental control options that you can choose from:
- Restrict access to Fortnite so that it can only be played during certain hours
- Turn off in-game purchases so that your child can't spend money on the game without your permission or without realising it
- Disable chat so that your child can't communicate with other players in the game
- Set a limit on the amount of time that your child can spend playing Fortnite each day
These are just some suggestions — you can tailor the parental controls to fit your child's needs. It is important to remember that parental controls are not foolproof. Your child may still find ways to bypass them if they are determined enough. One of the best ways to limit your child's Fortnite playtime is to set a good example yourself. Try not to spend too much time playing the game yourself, and encourage your child to find other activities that they enjoy. With a little effort, you can help your child stay safe and have a healthy balance in their life.
How can I filter mature language?
The first step is to log in to your account on the Epic Games website. From there, click on your account name in the top right corner, and select ‘Account’ from the drop-down menu. On the next page, scroll down to the ‘Content Filters’ section and select ‘Edit’ next to the ‘Filter Language in Chat’ option. From there, you can select the level of filtering you want to apply to your account.
How do I hide my child’s name to prevent others from messaging them?
To hide your child's name on Fortnite, follow the steps below:
- Open the game and select ‘Settings’ from the main menu
- Select ‘Account’
- Under ‘Privacy Settings’ check the box next to ‘Hide Name’
This will prevent other players from seeing your child's name, so their identity will stay private.
Can my child talk to strangers while playing Fortnite?
Yes, your child can talk to strangers while playing Fortnite. Fortnite has a built-in chat system, so your child can talk to anyone they play the game with. To prevent this, you can turn off the chat options.
How do I turn the chat off?
To turn off text chat, simply open the game and select ‘Settings’ from the main menu. From there, select ‘Account’. Underneath ‘Social Privacy’, uncheck the ‘Show Text Chat’ option. This will prevent your child from being able to chat with other players in the game.
How can I limit my child's play time?
You can limit your child's play time on Fortnite by adjusting their account settings. Under ‘Account Settings’ you can choose to set a time limit for how long your child can play the game each day. You can also restrict your child from playing the game during certain hours of the day. This will help keep them from playing too much Fortnite and restrict their playtime to a more reasonable limit.
You can also set parental controls on your child's console itself. On Xbox One, you can do this by going to ‘Settings’ then selecting ‘Family’. You can choose how much time your child is allowed to spend playing games each day, as well as what hours they are allowed to play. On PlayStation, you can do this by going to ‘Settings’ then selecting ‘Parental Controls’. You can set a time limit for your child's Fortnite playing, as well as restrict their access to certain games based on their age rating.
How do I turn voice chatting off?
To turn off voice chat, open the game and go to the settings menu. In the audio section, there will be an option to turn off voice chat. Simply toggle the switch to the off position and voice chat will be disabled for that session. You can also change this setting so that it is always turned off by default.
How do I check how much time my child is spending in the game?
To check how much time your child is spending in the game, open the game and go to the settings menu. In the general section, you will find an option to view your player's stats. This will show you how long they have been playing for as well as what type of activities they have been involved in. You can also set time limits for how long your child can play the game each day.
To set a time limit, open the game and go to the settings menu. In the general section, you will find an option to set a daily time limit. You can choose between one and twelve hours of gameplay per day. Once the limit is reached, the game will automatically exit and the child will not be able to play again until the next day.
How can I manage my child’s spending in Fortnite?
To manage your child's spending in Fortnite, open the game and go to the settings menu. In the general section, you will find an option to view your player's stats. This will show you how much money they have spent on in-game items. You can also set a limit for how much your child can spend each day.
You can also help manage your children's spending with GoHenry. GoHenry is a prepaid debit card for kids that you can use to set spending limits and track their spending. You can also use it to teach them about budgeting and money management.
Find out more info on how to manage your child's spending with GoHenry here