With technology playing a larger role in our daily lives, it's important to have tools to help us manage our screen time. For parents, this is especially important when it comes to young people. There are a range of effective apps out there that can help you control your child's screen time. In this blog post, we'll discuss some of the best apps for the job.
Why should I manage my child’s screen time?
There are a few reasons why you might want to manage your child’s screen time. According to the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, too much screen time can be harmful to their health. It can lead to problems with vision, sleep, and social skills. Second, it can be hard to compete with screens for your child’s attention and if you do, it might be time to set some limits. Third, too much screen time can interfere with other important commitments, like homework and physical activity.
Managing your child’s screen time can help them stay healthy and balanced, as well as keep them safe while on their mobile phones or other devices. It can help them stay in the moment and focus on other vital aspects of their lives.
How should I manage my child’s screen time?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Every family is different, and every child is different. You know your child better than anyone, so you will be the best judge of how to manage their screen time. However, there are a few general tips that may help manage your child’s screen time.
- Set clear limits on screen time. Decide how much screen time is appropriate for your child, and stick to it.
- Be consistent with the rules. If you allow your child to have one hour of screen time today, it may be a good idea to say no to two hours tomorrow.
- Make sure they have other things to do. If your child is only allowed to have one hour of screen time, make sure they have other activities that they enjoy.
- Encourage them to take breaks. Screen time can be addictive, so it’s important to encourage your child to put the screen down and do other activities throughout the day.
- Talk to them about it. Discuss the importance of limiting screen time with your child. Help them understand why it’s important to have a balance in their life.
- Set up parental controls on your child's iPhone or iPad. The integrated parental controls in Apple products can go a long way toward managing your child’s screen time. You can learn more about your child's smartphone if you're unsure about how to set up integrated parental controls.
- Take advantage of parental control apps for iOS and Android. There are many apps that can help you manage your child’s screen time on a range of devices.
These are just a few tips to help you get started. Learn more about effectively managing your kids' screen time with our helpful article.
Best free apps to limit screen time for Android
There is now a wide selection of apps available that can help you manage your child’s screen time. Here are some of the best free apps to limit screen time for Android:
- StayFocusd: Allows you to block distracting websites and apps. It can help your child focus on their homework or other important tasks.
- Flipd: Helps you focus by locking your phone for a set amount of time. It’s a useful way to help you break the habit of using your phone all the time.
- BreakFree: Allows you to see how much time you spend on your device. It also allows you to set limits and see how well you stick to them.
Best free apps to limit screen time for iOS
There are many effective apps out there that can help you manage your child’s screen time. Here are some of the best free apps to limit screen time for iOS:
- OurPact: Lets you block apps and set screen time limits. It also has a feature that allows you to remotely control your child’s device.
- Screen Time: Lets you manage and monitor your child’s screen time: set limits, schedule bedtimes, and more.
- OFFTIME: Manage your child’s screen time and internet usage by setting limits, blocking apps, and filtering content.
Best paid apps to limit screen time for iOS
There are also some handy paid apps that can help you manage your child’s screen time. Here are some of the best paid apps to limit screen time for iOS:
- Screen Time Premium: This app adds to the basic features of Screen Time with email summaries, geofencing, and location tracking.
- Kids Zone: Block apps and set screen time limits. It also has a feature that allows you to remotely control your child’s device.
- Qustodio: Letting you manage your child’s screen time and internet usage, you can also monitor social media, track messages, and filter content.
- These are just a few of the convenient apps available to help you set limits on a child’s screen time. There are many more out there, so be sure to do your research to find the one that best fits your needs.
Each family is unique, and the important thing is to find a solution that works well for you and the young people in your life. Be consistent with the boundaries you set and be sure to talk to your child about why it’s important to limit their screen time. It's possible to set reasonable restrictions and help kids have more balance in their life.
Discover more about GoHenry’s parental control features
If you're concerned about your child's spending habits online, then you can take more control with GoHenry. Our parental controls allow you to set limits on what they can purchase, so you can be sure they're not overspending when using their devices. You can also set spending limits so you can relax knowing they're not exceeding their budget. With instant spending notifications, you'll know exactly what they're spending money on, as soon as they spend it.
Take a look at GoHenry's parental control features and see how we can help you set healthy boundaries for your child on their device.