More and more children are using the internet, so you may consider setting up parental controls on your broadband connection. This will allow you to restrict the websites that your children can visit and protect them from online predators and other dangers. In this blog post, we will show you how to set up parental controls on Vodafone broadband.
Why should I set up parental controls on Vodafone broadband?
There are many reasons why you should set up parental controls on Vodafone broadband. The most important reason is to protect your children from inappropriate content on the internet. Parental controls let you block websites that contain explicit content, violence, or other material that you think is unsuitable for your children.
Another reason to set up parental controls is to protect your children from malware and phishing attacks. By blocking websites that distribute malware or phish for personal information, you can help keep your children safe from these online threats.
Parental controls can also help to improve your child's internet usage habits. By restricting the amount of time they spend online, or the websites they visit, you can help them to focus on their schoolwork and other activities.
What can I restrict with Vodafone parental controls?
Vodafone parental controls let you restrict access to certain websites and content types. This includes websites that contain explicit content, violence, or other material that you deem unsuitable for your children.
For an added level of security, you can also use parental controls apps for iPhone and Android. You can also use the integrated iPhone and iPad parental controls to restrict access to specific apps and features on your child's device.
What is Secure Net?
Secure Net is a Vodafone service that provides an additional layer of security for your broadband connection. It protects your family from online threats such as malware, phishing attacks, and explicit content.
What are the restriction tiers of Secure Net?
The lowest tier is called "Safe", and is recommended for all households as it blocks malware and phishing. The next level, called "Supersafe", blocks websites that contain adult content, violence, hate, tobacco, drugs, crime, alcohol, gambling and online dating. For maximum protection, choose the "Ultrasafe" level, which adds another layer of safety by blocking online games, social media, and sex education content.
If you're unsure what content you should block for your child's age, refer to our guide to online age limits.
How do I set up parental controls using Secure Net?
To set up parental controls using Secure Net, log in to the Vodafone Secure Net portal. From there, simply follow the on-screen instructions and choose the level of protection that you want.
You can use the Secure Net app to easily monitor and change the parental controls for your broadband. Simply download the app from the App Store or Google Play and you'll have access to all the features of the portal.
Can I add Secure Net at any time during my contract period?
Yes, you can add Secure Net to your broadband package at any time during your contract period. It's not subject to a minimum contract period, so you can add or remove it at any time.
How many devices can I install Secure Net on?
There is no limit to the number of devices that you can install Secure Net on. However, there is a £1 monthly charge per device after your three-month free trial.
Talk to your children about online security
It's important to talk to your children about online security and explain the importance of being safe when using the internet. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Teach them never to give out personal information: this includes their name, address, or phone number. Explain how criminals can use this information to steal their identity or commit other crimes.
- Explain the importance of strong passwords: teach them never to use easily guessed words like their name or birthdate. Show them how to create a strong password by using a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Make them aware of phishing attacks: explain how criminals can use fake emails or websites to trick them into giving out personal information. Show them how to spot a phishing attack by looking for misspellings, unusual logos, or unexpected requests for personal information.
- Explain the dangers of clicking on links: teach them to be careful about clicking on links in emails, messages, and websites. Explain how criminals can use links to install malware or redirect them to a fake website.
- Talk to them about online predators: explain how predators can use the internet to groom children for sexual abuse. Show them how to spot the signs of grooming, such as someone asking for personal information or trying to meet in person, and ask them to report any such case.
- Show them how to report inappropriate content or behaviour: teach them how to report inappropriate content or behaviour to the website or service provider.
- Make sure they know how to stay safe on social media: explain the importance of privacy settings and only accepting friend requests from people they know. Show them how to report inappropriate content or behaviour on social media platforms.
By following these simple tips, you can help your children to stay safe online. For more information on online safety, you can refer to our Safety Blog Category.
Learn everything you need to know about GoHenry parental controls
It's important to make sure that your children are using the internet safely. With GoHenry, you can do just that. Our prepaid kids' debit card with parental controls lets you manage your child's spending in real time — both online and offline.
With GoHenry, you can set spending limits, track where your child spends and even freeze their card if something is wrong. You're able to stay on top of what your child pays for online. Our app also makes it easy for you to manage your child's account on the go. On top of that, your children will also learn and develop their financial education with our in-app Money Missions.
If you're looking for a safe and secure way to help your child manage their money and online spending, then GoHenry is the perfect solution. Sign up today and get started!